Boxing & MMA Wrap for 8/7/2012
- On Friday Night Fights Filipino Lightweight Mercito Gesta continued to impress though the marketing as the next Pacquiao is unfair and unwarranted. Gesta stopped Ty Barnett via 9th round stoppage after leading by four rounds up to that point. In the co-feature Jesse Magdeleno outclassed Aldimar Silva via 2nd rd KO in a match that was seemed set up to showcase Magdeleno.
- Solo Boxeo had a forgotten card this weekend with Diego Magdaleno beating in predictably and in a fairly uncompetitive match over the hill, late in the game 40 year old Antonio Davis by 4th round KO. Jose Benavidez TKO Javier Loya also in the fourth round in what was a mismatch and Mike Lee steam rolled Tyler Seever to a 2rd KO which vaulted him to the opening slot on the Chavez/Martinez PPV.
Upcoming This Week
-Michael Katsidis vs. Danny Perez (ESPN2, 6PM PST, Friday August 10th) Katsidis is always willing to fight. I am not familiar with Perez, but if you are home this is a fight worth watching since someone will get knocked down and maybe out.
-Sergio Mora vs. Brian Vera II (Telefunta, 6PM PST, Saturday August 11th), a re-match of a Friday Night Fights match in which Mora was upset, a year later fighting on a smaller scale after Sergio Mora/Shane Mosley PPV flop, Mora is destined to flood the small stage circuit. The question is “Can Mora stay relevant enough for promoters to have to promote him”?
- Nonito Donaire vs Jorge Arce has been scrapped. Donaire will now fight Nishioka on Oct.13 on HBO, the co-feature will be Brandon Rios/Mike Alvarado.
- The Chavez Jr/Martinez PPV is main card is now official with middleweights Matthew Macklin vs Joachim Alcine, super bantamweights Guilmero Rigondeaux vs Robert Marroquin, Super Featherweights Roman Martinez vs Miguel Beltran Jr and Light Heavyweight Mike Lee who won on Saturday will open the card with a yet to be announced fighter.
-UFC ON Fox 4: Shogun Rua stopped Brandon Vera via 4th round TKO, but lost his title shot hope to Machida who stopped Ryan Bader in the 2nd round via TKO. In other action Joe Lauzon earned an impressive fight of the year-esque showing against Jamie Varner, Mike Swick earned a brutal KO victory over Demetrious Johnson, Nam Phan continued his rise as he outlasted Cole Miller than called out Steven Seagal and Phil Davis’ fight ended in a No Contest 1 minute into the first round.
- UFC 150 (FX 5:00 PST, 7:00PST PPV) Benson Henderson (c) vs Frankie Edgar main events with the lightweight title at stake. The rest of the card looks good as well, as Melvin Guillard takes on Donald Cerrone, Jake Shields fights tough veteran Ed Herman, Yushin Okami takes on UFC new comer Buddy Rogers and in opening action UFC young guns and striking experts Justin Lawrence will face Max Halloway.
- Rory MacDonald pulled out of his UFC 152 fight against BJ Penn due to a cut suffered above his eye.
-Junior Dos Santos vs Allistar Overeem is being planned for either Dec.29th or Super Bowl weekend in early Feb. The date is not set in stone , because of Overeem’s inflated levels of testosterone in accordance to the allowed ratio (he was 14:1, the state limit was 5:1) during a random drug testing. If he can be licensed by Dec.29th expect that to be the date.